April 10th- 14th 2020
5 days / 4 nights
Small group – 4-6 participants
Accommodation in a 4 star boutique hotel
Welcome and farewell lunches
Artist led approach to photography
Travel, Street, People and Urban Landscape
VENICE Cannereggio, Arsenale, Burano, more!
Capturing the beauty and majesty of the ancient city of Venezia
Venice is a ravishing feast for the senses – the rich colours of the majestic palaces lining the canals, the exquisite light, the extraordinary beauty of a city that is a pure celebration of art and culture.
Built on a lagoon around 400 AD, the early inhabitants were escaping the Barbarian invasion, and overcame the inhospitable conditions of swamp land to build what has become one of the more magnificent and glorious cities in the world.
“To build a city where it is impossible to build a city is madness in itself, but to build one of the most elegant and grandest of cities is the madness of genius.” Alexander Herzen
Venice – or Venezia as it’s known to locals – has drawn artists and artisans, lovers and travellers, traders and religious seekers, explorers and royalty, to its shores for hundreds of years.
Its opulent past is as a rich trading city, bringing spices and silk, grain and works of art through this collection of 180 tiny islands.
On my Venice workshop I want to show you my very favourite places. I have spent time living in and photographing this city, exploring and showing people my most treasured spots for capturing a wildly beautiful, completely unique side to this fascinating city.
We will eat at local restaurants, stay in a wonderful 4 star hotel and see both the iconic sights and local spots.
You will capture dawn over the Grand Canal, wander through the Rialto market mid-morning with throngs of locals buying freshly caught fish and an array of fruits and vegetables brought to the island on tiny boats.
We’ll photograph the colourful houses of local fishermen on the island of Burano, wander through the alleyways under an inky black sky waiting for the sky to turn indigo before exploding into the myriad of colours of dawn.
We will be stunned by the glorious light, the almost heart-breaking beauty of the city. I find the light of Venice to be uniquely sublime in the morning hours. With the casting of light and shadow enhanced by the shallow lagoon or the reflective properties of the colourful buildings, there is something about a Venice dawn that makes photographers’ hearts sing with joy.
“But if you died and in your will you asked for your ashes to be spread gently on the Grand Canal at midnight with a full moon, everyone would know this about you – you loved and understood beauty.” William Goldman
I will teach you my methods and techniques on how to capture this city with the spirit of an artist. This workshop is personalised to you and I will show how I can aid you to develop as a photographer/artist – whether you’ve just started taking photos or have been enjoying photography for thirty years.
You will leave with a host of new photo skills that you can continue to use to create interesting and compelling images wherever you are – as well as a stunning portfolio of images capturing your vision of La Serenissima.
But above all I wish to teach you a new way to observe when you travel, a way of curiosity and perception, of looking and seeing your environment with fresh eyes and a full mind.
I would love for you to join me on this next photography adventure.
- Early bird fee: £2,437 per person (approx. $2,745 US / 2,452 Euros)
- Regular fee: £2,967 (approx. $3,720 US / 3,397 Euros)
Please check current exchange rates with your bank.
Partners are welcome to join, please contact us for more details.
4 – 6 Participants
Experience | Difficulty
- Beginner, amateur, hobbiest and semi-pro photographers
- DSLR, mirrorless or compact cameras
- Busy schedule
- Some free time allotted
- Lots of walking. Very flat terrain
Weather | Sun times
Temps 54-61F/12-17C average Sunrise 0633 | Sunset 1950
The workshop content will be tailored to the interests of members of the group, ensuring every attendee receives a personalised experience and progresses as a photographer. Skills we will be covering:
- Shooting on manual: technical advice on how to master the manual settings on your digital SLR camera
- Inspiring advice on how to improve your appreciation of the world and spot photo opportunities within it
- The art of creative composition, including the difference between a good shot and a great one
- The challenges of shooting in the changing light from dawn to dusk – and how to handle them
- Processing – we will do lots of processing together of your images, and I will share my techniques and approach to processing like an artist
- Activities / Highlights
- How to develop your own personal artistic vision of a location
- How to see like an artist, and bring emotion into your images
- I will teach you my methods for exploring a location to find subjects
- Group image reviews – there will be many reviews together – and you’ll see how you can all go to the same places and yet create completely unique images. Great stuff!
- Daily photo walks
- Immersive photo-walks and practical workshops
- Spend time with a group of like-minded photographers, sharing inspiration, feedback and working together to improve skills
- Opportunity to develop a stunning portfolio of photographs
- Regular Q&A and group discussion in a supportive environment
Workshop fee includes
- Single room (double rooms are also available for couples)
- 4 nights accommodation in a 4 star boutique hotel
- All breakfasts
- Welcome and farewell lunches in our favourite local restaurants
- Photography workshop fee
What is not included: Travel to London, meals not mentioned, alcoholic drinks or travel insurance.
Venice Marco Polo Airport (VCE) – Travel time to hotel 1hr
We love to find boutique hotels with an artistic, unique style as well as excellent service. We choose hotels in the 4 star category, and aim for excellent, warm local service.
Questions or queries
Please contact us. No question is too big or too small.
Diana Bird – email@example.com or +44 7711 866 795.