Dawn is the sun’s greatest gift to photographers.
Workshop fee: Early bird booking fee £797 / Secure your spot with a deposit of £397
I have always wanted to return to do a winter workshop in this city as the light is so mesmerizing. Some of my favourite images were were taken in winter. It’s also a time when the city is alive with the fun and magic of Carnevale. There will be people in outrageous and elaborate costumes wandering the city, which will make for some excellent street portraits.
There will be a particular focus on this workshop on capturing dawn as the hours around sunrise provide a rich palette of shifting colours and contrasts. In Venice, dawn is when the harbour is at its most dramatic, the Grand Canal is at its most serene, and the view from St Mark’s Campanile is at its most breathtaking.
I have been photographing Venice, and running workshops here, for five years now and I am always blown away by its rich history, culture and breathtaking beauty.
I can’t wait to show you the amazing places I have found to photograph, both the iconic sights and those off the beaten track. And to help you capture the beautiful light, have great fun with a group of like-minded passionate photographers and meet some amazing people.
I want to help you learn new skills while creating a personal portfolio to be proud of. You’ll also get to know the soul of the city, documenting a side of it even many of the locals don’t see, as you watch Venice wake up and put its face on, performing the morning rituals of getting a world class city up and running, all coloured by nature’s great light show.
As the creator of the acclaimed Cities at Dawn photo book series, I will teach you how to use dawn’s unique properties to create beautiful, emotive images. You’ll then put all your new-found knowledge into practice during a series of inspiring, informative and breathtaking dawn workshops.
Most importantly, you’ll learn how to look at the world with new eyes, record the details, relationships and stories that other people miss, and tell elegant, vibrant stories with your images – using one of the world’s great cities as your muse.
The core of the course is as follows:
- Creative exposures and how shooting on Manual gives you total control of your creative photography
- The art of creative composition learn the how and why of composition
- Learn professional image processing techniques with Lightroom CC
- We will study light and why you will never see a great photograph without great light. It is everything photography is about
- The challenges of shooting in the changing light from dawn to dusk, and how to handle them
- Group image review – receive tailored feedback on your images and get ideas for your future development
- Street Photography walks are very popular nowadays – learn my approach in getting close and comfortable with your subjects. Or how to be candid and get that decisive moment
- A delicious complimentary welcome lunch from my favourite restaurant in Venice (I am a foodie as well!)
Day 1 Wednesday 27th
- 11am Group will meet Anthony at Chiesa di San Giacomo di Rialto. From there we have our welcome lunch together at Cantina de Spade (amazing local restaurant that we’ve been going to for years!)
- 1-6pm Photowalk around Rialto market and surrounding areas. Anthony will give instruction and guidance to each guest on preparation for the morning blue hour photoshoot and answer any questions. This will also include a talk about the art of seeing with a special emphasis on light.
- 7pm Dinner(optional)
Day 2 Thursday 28th
- 5-10am Blue hour photowalk. Starting a San Marco square we will photograph the piazza and the shore and also see the many costumed people for Carnivale, then head towards the back of Castello for some very hidden views of Venice
- 1030-3pm Rest time
- 3-730pm Photowalk through Cannaregio
- 730- Dinner (Al Timón, super fun, delicious restaurant in Cannaregio)
Day 3 Friday 1st
- 7am -12pm Early morning photowalk on Burano Island. We will be taking a 40 min ferry trip to Burano. Home of Venetian glass blowing and neighborhoods of astounding color.
- 12-4pm rest, upload and edit time
- 4-8pm Photowalk Street photography capturing the beautiful atmosphere of the Carnivale
Day 4 Saturday 2nd
- 5-10am Blue hour photowalk. Starting at Campo del Ghetto Nuovo we will explore the canals and enchanting morning light of Cannaregio and on towards Castello, taking in the Northern shore shortly after sunrise. 10-12 rest upload and edit time
- 12-3pm group review
- 3pm farewell lunch
Course requirements This course is suitable for photographers at almost any level of experience. We only work with small groups, so that each participant receives lots of one-to-one guidance. All attendees will be required to bring a camera and a sturdy tripod. A laptop to process your images is also highly recommended.
Workshop capacity: 6
Workshop fee: Early bird booking fee £797 (usual price £897) / Secure your spot with a deposit of £397
(non-refundable, please see out T&C’s before booking)
Your ticket does not include accommodation, travel or meals except the welcome and farewell lunch (although we will always eat at good value local spots). See our terms and conditions before booking.
Accommodation: Everyone has different budgets and desires when it comes to accommodation – and Venice has lots of great value places to stay. We would though like everyone to stay in the same area, and Anthony loves the Castello district (see a little guide about the area here). Here are some recommended local hotels:
- Oceano Mare – budget, great friendly B&B
- Hotel Ca’ Formenta – lovely hotel, very central with a charming inside courtyard
- Ca’ dei Dogi – pretty and friendly small hotel
- Airbnb have lots of good apartments, I’ve linked the Castello area in this link
If these do not suit you, or you’d like to know where other members of the group have booked into, please do not hesitate to contact Diana for more advice, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get in touch: If you have any questions / thoughts / queries please do give us a call or drop us an email, on email@example.com or +44(0)7989949683.
- I had a really good time doing a private tuition day with Anthony and can thoroughly recommend it to anyone else who might be considering. What impressed me most about Anthony’s work was that while it is in a way easy to take a fantastic photo when you have a great scene before you, Anthony manages to make amazing photos out of the most ordinary places around London, and when I compared his offering to the other Photography Workshops that are advertised, his photos are clearly a step above the competition.Tom
- His teaching is easy to understand, laid back and humorous. Anyone can do this and be a better photographer as a result.Harmen
- After Paris and Venice, London was my third workshop with Anthony. Extremely helpful to learn with him how to master your camera and the light. Anthony is not only an excellent professional who give good advice and tips, but also a great guy. To follow him around cities at dawn and shooting a lot of pictures is an unforgetable experience. Worth the trip!”Catherine
- Anthony also inspired me to look at photographic composition in a different way (manipulating angles, exploring reflections, managing too many subjects in the same frame)Veda
- I learnt a lot on the course, particularly around seeing images in everyday things, composition, and how to recognise and use interesting light to improve my photos. I think that before I did the course I was in some ways in a bit of a photo rut, for instance settling for aperture priority and auto white balance; this course got me out of that and gave me some new inspiration.Steve T
- Anthony is a talented photographer who is also a very good teacher. He is excellent at giving you feedback on your composition and tips on using your photo gear.Danilo