“And anyone who has once known this land can never be quite free from the nostalgia for it.” D.H. Lawrence
Workshop fee is £1,247.
Secure your place with a deposit of £547.
A delight for all the senses, Palermo is a truly photogenic city, a mixture of many cultures, from Greek to Byzantine, Arab to Norman. It’s wonderfully lively and colorful, ancient and authentic.
We’ll photograph the city at first light and as the sun settles at the end of the day. We’ll photograph the people, capture the atmosphere and the city so rich in history. I will lead numerous photo walks, feedback sessions and critiquing.
Joining me is a wonderful photographer and tour leader Monica Fritz, who worked with me in Istanbul where she has been running workshops for twenty years, as well as doing regular workshops in Sicily. She is an expert in seeking out interesting and fascinating places for us to visit, people to meet and amazing local places to eat. I am so excited to be working with her again.
Palermo is an ancient city of mystery and light, between the sea and the mountains. The feeling of this Sicilian capital is unique, the atmosphere is partly Arabesque, partly Mediterranean.
Strolling through its back streets we’ll visit villas and markets, Baroque churches, palaces and squares scattered with statues.
“Sicily is the pearl of this century…Since old times, travelers from the most far away country…boast of its merits, praise its territory, rave about its extraordinary beauty, and highlight its strengths…because it brings together the best aspects from every other country.” Al-Idrisi Arab geographer, The Book of Roger, 1138 – 54
We’ll take some afternoon trips outside of the city to capture local village life and photograph the beautiful landscapes.
The content of the course will be tailored to the experience and interests of individual members of the group, ensuring every attendee receives a personalised experience and develops as a photographer. You will be asked to fill out a questionnaire before the workshop so I can gauge exactly where I can help you during our time in Sicily.
The workshop will include sessions on:
- Creative exposures and how shooting on Manual gives you total control of your creative photography
- The art of creative composition learn the how and why of composition
- We will study light and why you will never see a great photograph without great light. It is everything photography is about
- The challenges of shooting in the changing light from dawn to dusk, and how to handle them
- Group image review – receive tailored feedback on your images and get ideas for your future development
- Street Photography walks are very popular now a days – learn my approach in getting close and comfortable with your subjects. Or how to be candid and get that decisive moment
- A delicious complimentary welcome dinner from Monica’s favourite restaurant in Palermo (She is a foodie as well!)
- Immerse yourself in this beautiful city and find ways to capture your own vision
- Spend time with a group of like-minded photographers, discussing photography, getting feedback and working together to improve your skills
- Plus so many useful pro tips and practices from me..bring a notebook!
This course is suitable for photographers at almost any level of experience – as being a small group I can work with multiple levels.
I would though like you to be committed to trying and developing your skills on manual as that is where I believe your creativity will truly get unleashed.
A camera and a sturdy tripod are necessary – a laptop to process your images is also highly recommended, but not essential.
Workshop capacity: 8
Workshop fee: £1,247 – secure your place with a deposit of £547, the balance is payable 10 weeks before the start of the workshop. Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
- The workshop fee includes a delicious welcome dinner in Palermo
- Your ticket does not include accommodation, travel to Sicily or meals and drinks not mentioned.
- Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
Accommodation: You are welcome to book accommodation or you can take one of the rooms in the group booking we have made at two beautiful B&B’s in the centre of Palermo:
- Le Terrazze – is a pretty small B&B with five terraces that overlook different parts of the city. A very charming couple run this tiny place and we will have all the rooms – only 3 rooms available. Price is 80 euros per night. First night payable to secure booking.
- Il Giardino Di Ballaro – beautiful B&B that has a garden and lovely shared living room we can use. Rooms are different prices/sizes but range from 80 euros to 140 euros per night.
Workshop timings: The workshop will start at 11am on Wednesday May 9th, and finish on Sunday around 2pm.
If you would like any advice about flights, accommodation, airport transfers etc. Please do not hesitate to contact Diana on [email protected] or 020-7928 4178.
Questions – please get in touch: If you have any questions / thoughts / queries please do give us a call or drop us an email.
Contact Diana on [email protected] or 020- 7928 4128
Here’s some feedback past workshop clients:
“I had a really good time doing a private tuition day with Anthony and can thoroughly recommend it to anyone else who might be considering. What impressed me most about Anthony’s work was that while it is in a way easy to take a fantastic photo when you have a great scene before you, Anthony manages to make amazing photos out of the most ordinary places around London, and when I compared his offering to the other Photography Workshops that are advertised, his photos are clearly a step above the competition. “ Tom
“His teaching is easy to understand, laid back and humorous. Anyone can do this and be a better photographer as a result.” Harmen
“After Paris and Venice, London was my third workshop with Anthony. Extremely helpful to learn with him how to master your camera and the light. Anthony is not only an excellent professional who give good advice and tips, but also a great guy. To follow him around cities at dawn and shooting a lot of pictures is an unforgetable experience. Worth the trip!” Catherine
“Anthony also inspired me to look at photographic composition in a different way (manipulating angles, exploring reflections, managing too many subjects in the same frame)” Veda
“Istanbul is a fascinating and photogenic city and Anthony Epes’ photography workshop “Cities at Dawn” was the perfect vehicle for a solo female traveller, like myself, to discover a city in a non-touristic and yet safe way. The photography tuition was professional, unpretentious and “tailored”. I greatly appreciated that Anthony allowed me the space to both photograph and observe at my own pace whilst deftly encouraging me to venture out from the comfort zones of auto setting, telephoto lens’, cliched subjects and even daylight!” Rachel
“I learnt a lot on the course, particularly around seeing images in everyday things, composition, and how to recognise and use interesting light to improve my photos. I think that before I did the course I was in some ways in a bit of a photo rut, for instance settling for aperture priority and auto white balance; this course got me out of that and gave me some new inspiration.” Steve
“Anthony is a great instructor, who puts you at ease, offers good, understandable advice and is good company. I had done a photography course before, yet in the space of a couple of hours he made me understand some basics which i had missed in a very logical way.” Tripadvisor review
“It rekindled my photographic interest having slobbed out with my mobile phone camera for too long.” Wild Auk
“Anthony is a talented photographer who is also a very good teacher. He is excellent at giving you feedback on your composition and tips on using your photo gear. “ Danilo