Workshop fee £1,997
Secure your place with a deposit of £847.
We also offer a monthly payment plan. See below for full payment details.
”Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.”– Helen Keller
Ever since I read that swashbuckling, macho book Tai-pan, by James Clavell (he also wrote Shogun!), about English traders in 1840’s Hong Kong, I’ve had the city on my mind. Obviously it’s changed a bit since then (lol!), but I’ve been drawn ever since to that feeling of history and possibility that the city represents. I love to go where people have left layer upon layer of history, waiting to be discovered.
Photography for me is making yourself open and available to every human experience. Being there, bearing witness. Standing and having the discipline to pay attention, because yes, it does take discipline, and we don’t cultivate that kind of patience in modern life. We’re so used to instant gratification and so used to skating on the surface of life that we don’t dive deep into things.
One particular thing I want to do is to create spectacular memories, moments that have broken out of the sea of the day-to-day sameness that is so often life. Experiences which have burned themselves into memory with such intensity that you can feel the texture of the moments, the feeling of the light, the sensations in your body as you moved around this new place.
So maybe we can’t recreate the child-like fantasy of other-world adventure as in Tai-pan, but we can plant ourselves in situations and places – and be completely wide open to see and to feel something brand new. So that when we return home there is something a little different within us, a new dimension to our soul.
I want to create *spectacular* memories and experiences for everyone around me too. I’m really excited that we are now running my second workshop in this incredible city. The effects of this trip will ripple over your life for weeks and months to come.
Highlights of Hong Kong
Mountains, epic city skylines and views of sunrises across the sea
Amazing architecture – big shiny buildings, old Chinese temples, intense streets markets
Surrounded by lush tropical nature
Layers of amazing history, culture and people
Intense colour and light of the sub-tropical climate, mixed with the brash loud lights of high commerce
Walks and talks with local photographer
Small workshop – 6 people maximum
Get in touch: If you have any questions / thoughts / queries please do give us a call or drop us an email. Ring Diana on 020- 7928 4128 or email@example.com.
As this is a small group, this course is suitable for photographers at almost any level of experience. I will tailor the workshop to suit each participant. All attendees will be required to bring a camera with a manual setting and a sturdy tripod. A laptop to process your images is also recommended, but not essential.
Before the workshop: I will invite you fill in a questionnaire detailing your experience, skills, interests and photo requirements so I can get a good sense of how I can help you. You are also welcome to submit some photos for me to look at.
What kind of activities will you be doing?
- Introduction: to all of the key camera concepts and techniques you’ll need
- Blue hour to evening shooting – Every evening we will shoot the world famous blue hour of Hong Kong, then finish with a great dinner of fantastic food
- Early morning walks – Hong Kong is best known for its spectacular evening light show but with the morning comes the opportunity to see another side of the city
- Shooting on manual, and how creative exposures make the difference between a good shot and a great shot
- The art of creative compositions, and how they can make your photography stand out from the crowd
- Explore Lamma Island and its abandoned villages
- We’ll also have a walk with a local photographer who will show us their favourite off the beaten track spots to shoot and eat in the bustling area of Mong Kok
- Plenty of opportunities for 1-2-1 guidance and support, group exercises and demonstrations
- Spend time with a group of like-minded photographers, discussing photography, getting feedback and working together to improve your skills
- Immerse yourself in this beautiful city and find ways to capture your own vision
- A delicious complimentary welcome lunch at my favourite Dim Sum restaurant in the city (I’m a foodie as well!)
- Group image review – one of the highlights of the course is when we show our images and get feedback from the group. Anthony will show you are art of the edit!
- Most evenings we will have for dinner & drinks to discuss our images and photography (optional, cost of dinner/drinks are not included in the price, but we will go to a good value local spot)
Workshop capacity: 6
Workshop fee: £1,997 – secure your place with a deposit of £847
- The workshop fee includes a delicious welcome lunch.
- We also offer a monthly payment plan. Contact Diana on firstname.lastname@example.org to set this up.
- Your booking with us does not include accommodation, travel to the city or meals and drinks not mentioned.
- Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
Get in touch: If you have any questions / thoughts / queries please do give us a call or drop us an email.
Contact Diana on email@example.com for further questions.
Here’s some feedback past workshop clients:
“I had a really good time doing a private tuition day with Anthony and can thoroughly recommend it to anyone else who might be considering. What impressed me most about Anthony’s work was that while it is in a way easy to take a fantastic photo when you have a great scene before you, Anthony manages to make amazing photos out of the most ordinary places around London, and when I compared his offering to the other Photography Workshops that are advertised, his photos are clearly a step above the competition. “ Tom
“His teaching is easy to understand, laid back and humorous. Anyone can do this and be a better photographer as a result.” Harmen
“After Paris and Venice, London was my third workshop with Anthony. Extremely helpful to learn with him how to master your camera and the light. Anthony is not only an excellent professional who give good advice and tips, but also a great guy. To follow him around cities at dawn and shooting a lot of pictures is an unforgetable experience. Worth the trip!” Catherine
“Anthony also inspired me to look at photographic composition in a different way (manipulating angles, exploring reflections, managing too many subjects in the same frame)” Veda
“Istanbul is a fascinating and photogenic city and Anthony Epes’ photography workshop “Cities at Dawn” was the perfect vehicle for a solo female traveller, like myself, to discover a city in a non-touristic and yet safe way. The photography tuition was professional, unpretentious and “tailored”. I greatly appreciated that Anthony allowed me the space to both photograph and observe at my own pace whilst deftly encouraging me to venture out from the comfort zones of auto setting, telephoto lens’, cliched subjects and even daylight!” Rachel
“I learnt a lot on the course, particularly around seeing images in everyday things, composition, and how to recognise and use interesting light to improve my photos. I think that before I did the course I was in some ways in a bit of a photo rut, for instance settling for aperture priority and auto white balance; this course got me out of that and gave me some new inspiration.” Steve
“Anthony is a great instructor, who puts you at ease, offers good, understandable advice and is good company. I had done a photography course before, yet in the space of a couple of hours he made me understand some basics which i had missed in a very logical way.” Tripadvisor review
“It rekindled my photographic interest having slobbed out with my mobile phone camera for too long.” Wild Auk
“Anthony is a talented photographer who is also a very good teacher. He is excellent at giving you feedback on your composition and tips on using your photo gear. “ Danilo