This special new five-day workshop will focus on capturing the magic of Florence with urban cityscapes and street photography. Then we’ll head into the peaceful beauty of Tuscany for in-depth landscape, nature photography and macro photography – staying in a unique castle.
All-inclusive workshop fee £1,797 – includes all accommodation in Florence and at Castello Ristonchi, transport around Tuscany and all of your delicious Italian meals. Secure your place with a deposit of £697
- 3 nights in your own private apartment in Castello Ristonchi
- 1 night in a lovely B&B in Florence
- All meals at excellent local restaurants as well as having full catering at the castle
- (Choice of meals to choose from. Veggie / special diet requirements will be catered for)
- Transport included
- Plentiful photo walks around Florence and Tuscany
- Group and 1-2-1 image critiquing
- Demonstrations on key pro-photo techniques
- In-depth tutorials on Lightroom and editing your images
- Limited to 6 people
This workshop will also have a special emphasis on post production and processing – where I’ll teach you how to use the advanced tools for fine retouching and enhancements. Plus I’ll show you how to create custom style presets you can apply to selected images. And some other very cool (professional!) stuff.
We will start this workshop in the beautiful city of Florence – feeling the vibe and capturing the energy of the city. I will show you how to create special portraits of the city – the views, people, vistas, streets, and buildings.
Florence is a marvel to the eye – full of history, culture, and vitality. It has that incredible beauty of so many Italian cities, but with its own unique atmosphere.
“Stand on a bridge over the Arno river several times in a day and the light, mood and view changes every time. Firenze is magnetic, romantic and busy. Its urban fabric has hardly changed since the Renaissance, its narrow streets evoke a thousand tales.” Lonely Planet
I will help you identify interesting elements and build relationships between them, working narrative into your images.
We will take in the iconic sights and venture off the beaten track. We’ll wander along the river Arno, crossing the bridges and weaving our way through the city, across the big piazzas and into the heart of Florence.
We’ll climb up to the rooftops to get those famous sweeping views across the city, as well as narrow in on the interesting details of people, life and culture we find in the ancient streets.
After immersing ourselves in city life, we will take a total change of pace and head deep into the hills of Tuscany to the wonderful Castello Ristonchi.
Perched on top of one of many surrounding hills the Castello, which is over a thousand years old, is set in a breathtaking landscape of olive groves, gardens, forests and hills. I spent 7 weeks there last winter, and this was one of the most creative periods of my travels so far.
What I love about the castle is not just the peacefulness, the beauty and the dense feeling of history, but also the people who run it (it’s also named The Creator’s Castle). It is owned by a dynamic, visionary couple who bring creative projects and people from all over the world to run innovative events, gather for creative projects and create amazing work together.
The atmosphere is alive with possibility – the perfect combination for a workshop aimed at photography. The beauty of the castle and the location draw people to Ristonchi, but the people and community make it a hard place to leave.
At the castle we will have time for some deep photography work. We will be mixing a combination of landscape and nature walks with some in-depth editing and processing using the finer tools in Lightroom.
We will be working on developing the art of critiquing which is so integral to learning how to improve your images.
Our walks will take us into the forests around the castle, down into the valleys and through the little ancient villages dotted around.
I will be giving plentiful demonstrations on how to shoot landscapes, macro photography and will delve into what makes a good abstract image.
We will capture the fast-rolling mists that move through the hills like velvety smoke. The beautiful light and the gorgeous colours of autumn in Tuscany will surround us, with the changing colours of nature and the dynamic weather of the low hills over the valley.
There will be a lot of walking in Tuscany, around 3 – 5 miles per day. Although the hills are generally not steep, we will occasionally find ourselves on rocky, muddy paths. Good footwear is a must!
Eating luscious, local food is always a big part of our workshops. After a long day of photography, or an early morning walk – a delicious meal must be waiting! Di and I have found an array of excellent eateries.
This is both a workshop and a retreat – cutting yourself off totally from the busyness of life when you are in the countryside of Tuscany whilst delving into the vibrant Italian city life of Firenze!
Bring good walking shoes and rain gear!
- 10am: Workshop introduction followed by a delicious lunch at a local restaurant
- 2 – 7pm: Our first photo walk through the streets of Florence, doing a combo of cityscapes and street photography
- 7pm: Dinner at a great local restaurant
- 7-10am: Morning photo walk in Florence
- 12 noon: Transfer to Ristonchi
- 1pm: Lunch at Ristonchi
- 2.30 – 4pm: Afternoon session: an introduction to landscape and nature photography
- 4 – 6.30pm: Evening/twilight photo walk
- 7pm: Dinner at Ristonchi – make your own pizza in the woodfire oven in the castle. There will also be salads, roast veggies and other non-pizza items for non-Pizza eaters. It’s lots of fun.
Thursday & Friday
- 6 – 9am: Dawn/early morning photo walk
- 9am: Breakfast buffet
- Morning session: editing, processing, in-depth lightroom and photo techniques
- 1 -3 pm: Buffet lunch & break
- 3 – 6pm: Afternoon/twilight photo walk
- 7pm: Dinner at local restaurant
- 9am: Buffet breakfast
- 10am: Final session and photo walk
- 12pm: Lunch and then transfer back to Florence for departure
- 2.30pm: Workshop finishes
The content of the course will be tailored to the experience and interests of individual members of the group, ensuring every attendee receives a personalised experience and develops as a photographer.
You will be asked to fill out a questionnaire before the workshop so I can gauge exactly where I can help you during our time in Italy. I am also happy to look at your images if you wish to share them with me, and do a quick online chat.
- This course is suitable for photographers at almost any level of experience – being in a small group I can work with multiple levels.
- I would, though, like you to be committed to trying to develop your skills on Manual as that is where I believe your creativity will truly get unleashed.
- A camera and a sturdy tripod are necessary – a laptop to process your images is also highly recommended, but not essential. I will have a laptop that I can work with you on.
GET IN TOUCH: IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS / THOUGHTS / QUERIES PLEASE DO GIVE US A CALL OR DROP US AN EMAIL, ON DIANA@ANTHONYEPES.COM.
Workshop capacity: limited to 6 people
Workshop fee: £1,797 – secure your place with a deposit of £647; the balance is payable 10 weeks before the start of the workshop. Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
- The workshop fee includes all meals, accomodation and transport btween Castello Ristonchi and Florence.
- Your ticket does not include travel to Florence, travel or health insurance or alcoholic drinks.
- Please read our terms and conditions before booking.
If you would like any advice about flights, airport transfers, extending your trip etc., please do not hesitate to contact Diana on firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT CASTELLO DI RISTONCHI
Hi! We are Stefanie & Rasmus, we met when Stefanie rented a room in Rasmus’ Copenhagen apartment on Airbnb. That 3 day stay turned into a lifetime of adventure!
Now we are married with two lil’ AirbnBabies. During our first conversation in that room we shared stories and dreams and discovered we both had a passion to create a place to unite like-minded individuals through travel, art and co-creation.
After years of dreaming, we took the plunge and bought a 1,000 year old castle surrounded by a forest in Tuscany, Italy. We know there are other people from all over the world who have the same dreams and desires that we do – to live a simpler life in a community setting surrounded by nature. To focus on themselves and their families. To get away from the stress and the consumerism and get back to the earth and the love. To build, to learn and to create a better world together.
If this lifestyle resonates with you come visit us for a weekend, a month, a lifetime or anything in between – and definitely join the community to be notified of events, specials and to hear about our projects.
The 1,000+ year old Ristonchi Castle is still watching over the gorgeous Tuscan hillside landscape. The history of here shows signs of monks, wars and stonemasons. The Energy is neutral and serene. Here you can instantly connect with the grounded atmosphere and reset to your basic self.
Inside the castle are apartments ranging from studio to 3 bedrooms, a restaurant, a wood fired pizza oven built into the stonewalls, a chapel, an outdoor pool filled with fresh mountain spring water, a playground, olive groves, fruit trees all surrounded by an ancient chestnut forest probably hiding some treasures yet to be discovered.
Read more about the castle.