Intermediate to Advanced photo skills
Workshop fee is £1,297
Price includes accommodation for 5 nights in a large private room/studio, breakfast and some meals.
My friend has a beautiful B&B in Arles in the south of France which we will be taking over at the end of August. It’s an amazing town, home of the famous photography festival (35 world class exhibits in amazing locations, warehouses to Roman buildings). Summer here is total photo-lovers paradise.
I have now held 2 retreats here and they were amazing. Arles is an incredible city where Van Gogh painted his famous works, so you will know that the light here is sublime.
This is for you if you want to immerse yourself in creative photography and develop your technical and creative skills.
To me the true magic happens in photography when you have a good understanding of your camera and you are deeply inspired (i.e fully present).
Arles in summer is literally photography-soaked. I will take you to see many of the photo exhibitions, which are dotted all over the city in really cool venues, and examine photos along the way – it is an exploration into the ideas and techniques of great photographers. Not to be missed!
We will have so much inspiration coming in from both the location, the other photographers in the group plus all of these photography shows, amazing!
- One to one sessions with Anthony. If there is anything about creativity or photography you wanted personal help with Anthony will give you the time to explore your thoughts and ideas
- Explore the magical evening light of Arles as night comes shooting at high ISO without a tripod
- Phototalk – In depth examination of light and its qualities – do you really “see” light?
- The colour of emotion – presentation on the use of colour in photography
- Advanced Lightroom (x2) – retouching and processing workshop
- Basic daylight exposures (BDE) – Learning to shoot without a light meter – rely only on this easy formula and help develop your eye for light contrast and ratios
- Advanced composition skills – Anthony will teach you how he creates his images using the rules of composition and when to not use them
- Phototalk – Anthony will explore his ideas of being an observer and creator of what it means to be present and mindful as a photographer
- Shooting the stunning town of Arles – Morning, noon and night, all light here is good!
- Group image reviews – learn and see how we can all go to the same places and create completely unique images. Great stuff!
We will have the B&B to ourselves, so there will be lots of opportunities for both my teaching, sharing our skills and having a great fun time.
There are 35 photo exhibits there. Plenty of photo- inspired experiences. It’ll be a total photo immersion experience.
- Kitchen facilities within or close to the room
- Self-catering except for breakfast
- Delicious continental breakfast
- Large private rooms/studios with bathrooms
Workshop fee excludes: travel to Arles, meals and drinks not mentioned and entry to the photography exhibitions (a pass for all the shows is usually around 36 euros).
Workshop start time / end time
The workshop will start at 1pm on Tuesday the 21st August with an introduction.
The workshop will end on Sunday the 26th after the farewell lunch (approx. 2.30pm)
Getting to Arles
Lonely Planet says….Roman treasures, sultry stone squares and a festive atmosphere that crescendos during bullfights makes Arles a seductive stepping stone into the Camargue. And if its colourful sun-baked houses evoke a sense of déjà vu, it’s because you’ve seen them already on a Van Gogh canvas.
Arles’ Saturday market is one of the best in Europe. Read more here.
Here are the rooms at Mia Casa! Amazing!!!
Here’s some feedback past workshop clients:
“I had a really good time doing a private tuition day with Anthony and can thoroughly recommend it to anyone else who might be considering. What impressed me most about Anthony’s work was that while it is in a way easy to take a fantastic photo when you have a great scene before you, Anthony manages to make amazing photos out of the most ordinary places around London, and when I compared his offering to the other Photography Workshops that are advertised, his photos are clearly a step above the competition. “ Tom
“His teaching is easy to understand, laid back and humorous. Anyone can do this and be a better photographer as a result.” Harmen
“After Paris and Venice, London was my third workshop with Anthony. Extremely helpful to learn with him how to master your camera and the light. Anthony is not only an excellent professional who give good advice and tips, but also a great guy. To follow him around cities at dawn and shooting a lot of pictures is an unforgetable experience. Worth the trip!” Catherine
“Anthony also inspired me to look at photographic composition in a different way (manipulating angles, exploring reflections, managing too many subjects in the same frame)” Veda
“Istanbul is a fascinating and photogenic city and Anthony Epes’ photography workshop “Cities at Dawn” was the perfect vehicle for a solo female traveller, like myself, to discover a city in a non-touristic and yet safe way. The photography tuition was professional, unpretentious and “tailored”. I greatly appreciated that Anthony allowed me the space to both photograph and observe at my own pace whilst deftly encouraging me to venture out from the comfort zones of auto setting, telephoto lens’, cliched subjects and even daylight!” Rachel
“I learnt a lot on the course, particularly around seeing images in everyday things, composition, and how to recognise and use interesting light to improve my photos. I think that before I did the course I was in some ways in a bit of a photo rut, for instance settling for aperture priority and auto white balance; this course got me out of that and gave me some new inspiration.” Steve
“Anthony is a great instructor, who puts you at ease, offers good, understandable advice and is good company. I had done a photography course before, yet in the space of a couple of hours he made me understand some basics which i had missed in a very logical way.” Tripadvisor review
“It rekindled my photographic interest having slobbed out with my mobile phone camera for too long.” Wild Auk
“Anthony is a talented photographer who is also a very good teacher. He is excellent at giving you feedback on your composition and tips on using your photo gear. “ Danilo