January 20th – 27th 2020
8 days / 7 nights
Accommodation in Casa Particulares & boutique hotels
Artist led approach to photography
100% compliant for US citizens
Travel, Street, People and Urban Landscape
CUBA Havana & Vinales
Cuba is a world unto its own. A beautiful tropical island that has been cut off from much of the world for decades. It has developed its own unique vibe and spirit that is an incredible gift for photographers.
When we think of Cuba we think music and dancing, old American cars, rum and cigars but we also think of isolation and hardship. Cuba literally has it all. On top of all this history and culture is the tropical lifestyle – the colours and atmosphere of a place full of life and an enduring soul.
Music is ever present in the streets, with the laid back and friendly locals and their mellow culture. You are pulled in, seduced by its spirit – and immediately want to capture all of this with your camera.
This workshop will be all about finding and capturing this Cuban spirit, and your impressions of this mesmerising country.
We will be working with Cuban local guides and fixers. Together we will be organising all the cool, local extras that will make this trip feel like a true local adventure.
We’ll be eating fantastic home cooked meals at local homes, delicious meals at the best restaurants, making trips to galleries to meet local artists, having photo opportunities with local artisans and be taken to the best clubs – and many more experiences that will also be personalised to your passions and interests.
“Havana seduces the visitor with her good looks, her steamy weather, chrome-festooned American cars, zesty cocktails, pretty buildings, heart-stopping Afro-Cuban beats and hip-swivelling, story-telling, garrulous locals.
With her bedrock layered with Spanish empire treasure, slave-fuelled sugar wealth and a heavy top coating of communism, Havana is simply one of the world’s most exciting, confusing and compelling capitals.” Time Out
You will spend time with like-minded photographers like yourself, photograph the unique world of Cuba all under the warm rays of the Caribbean sunshine whilst exploring local life and meeting a variety of interesting people.
I will always personalise my teaching to the group and each member. I will find out where you are on your photography journey – perhaps you’ve just started out, or maybe you’ve been enjoying photography for 30 years.
I will be teaching you the skills you need, and how to develop your inner creative and artistic vision.
You will leave the workshop with both a stunning collection of images, and an array of new photo skills and techniques that will help you continue taking creative and compelling images wherever you are.
4 – 8 Participants
Experience | Difficulty
- Beginner, amateur, hobbiest and semi-pro photographers
- Exertion level: easy
- DSLR, mirrorless, compact or smartphone cameras
- Busy schedule
- Some free time allotted
- Lots of walking, very slight elevation changes
Weather | Sun times
Temps 70-79F/21-26C average Sunrise 0712 | Sunset 1807
Activities / Highlights
- The beautiful light of the tropics
- Old crumbling, intensely colourful buildings in Havana
- Creating your own portfolio of stunning images
- Friendly people, awesome street photography
- Photographing the lush tropical nature around Viñales
- Wandering the streets in the early morning and at dusk, photographing street life
- Local food and good cocktails!
- Being with a small group of passionate photographers and adventurers who want to experience as much as possible of this incredible country
- Local Cuban guide to help us navigate our way around
The workshop will include both Havana and Viñales, a lush rural town. The workshop will emphasise local, unique and off-the-beaten track as well as the beauty, joy and magic of Cuba!
- Single room (double rooms are also available for couples)
- 5 nights in Havana, 2 nights in Casa Particulars (b&b) in Viñales
- All breakfasts and two welcome dinners – in both local homes and international restaurants
- Travel to Viñales
- Transfer from airport to your hotel and back
- Local trips and activities – including a trip to the tobacco fields, musical events
- Local guides
- Photography workshop fee
What’s not included
- Tips, alcoholic drinks and meals not mentioned above
- Travel & health insurance
- Flights to Cuba
Please arrange your flight to Havana international airport. We will arrange a taxi to collect you from the airport and return you for your departure.
We will mix the accommodation between five nights in a beautiful little hotel in Havana and two nights at b&b’s (casas particulares) in Viñales. These are run by local families so we’ll be immersed in the local Cuban areas. Casas are basically furnished, but we’ve picked excellent ones.
Questions or queries
Please contact us. No question is too big or too small.
Diana Bird – email@example.com or +44 7711 866 795