- 7 days 6 nights
- Welcome lunch
- Farewell lunch
- Local Transportation
Travel, cityscape, seascape, street,
architecture, and people
Andalusia with Anthony Epes
The aim of this workshop is to capture some of the most breathtaking areas of this beautiful region. From the undulating hills and white washed villages of Las Alpujarras, to the magnificent Moorish architecture of Granada, the vibrant street life of the old town of Malaga, to the gorgeous rugged coast line and blue-green sea.
You will finish this workshop with a portfolio of stunning images, and a collection of amazing memories.
We will explore this incredible region where Diana and I live. Taking in the vast wild nature, the villages and towns embedded with history and the vibrant culture of Andalucia – alive with festivals, music and dance.
On this workshop I will also help you develop your personal artistic vision and style. To delve into your inner artist.
I will provide you with a multitude of subjects that will challenge you to learn and develop new skills, to see that anything can be your subject when approached with the mindset of an artist.
I will teach you many of the composition and technical skills I use every day in my photography.
We’ll be shooting lots of different locations, using many genres of photography. Every day I’ll be teaching you new skills to make the best of each location.
Some of the subjects will be quiet and meditative and beautiful (shooting the sea, walking through olive groves in dappled light, the complete peace of remote mountain villages and capturing the landscapes and mountains).
Some will be more intense and busy – capturing the street art and urban life of Malaga, creating interesting photos of the Moorish architecture of Granada and finding portraits in the busy night life we encounter.
We’ll do night shooting, dawn shoots, we’ll go out at dusk for the rich, beautiful light of Southern Spain. We will be based in three unique locations throughout the week – in hotels handpicked by Diana and myself.
Each day we will be doing feedback and sharing sessions so you can see how other people approached the same subject, generating within you new ideas and ways of seeing.
We will also be eating some of the best local food around, catching some of the local music in our favourite bars, eating delicious tapas in the lively street market in Malaga and enjoying the famous wines of the region.
We’ll be shooting for several hours a day, with the rest of the time spent learning new techniques, developing your creative vision for your photography and reviewing your images.
I will be giving a very diverse selection of subjects which will challenge you.
We will start our workshop in the vibrant, historical centre of Malaga. After trying some of the best tapas in the city we will have an afternoon capturing the atmosphere of Malaga, before heading out early the next morning to our home in the mountains for the next several days.
We will be greeted by peace and serenity, and outstanding natural beauty of Las Alpujarras, the undulating landscape on the slopes of the Sierra Nevada mountains.
We then head to Granada, the famous city known for The Alhambra palace and the city’s outstanding Moorish architecture.
We will be photographing:
- Travel photography in the historical centre of Malaga
- Beautiful seascapes, nature and beauty of the Costa Tropical (where I live!)
- The grandeur, history, windy streets and the Moorish architecture of Granada at sunset
- The pretty Spanish mountain villages in Las Alpujarras
- And creating outstanding landscape photographs around the Sierra Nevada Mountains
During the workshop, you’ll be processing your images with me giving you lessons, tips and techniques so you fully get to grips with processing and where it can take you artistically.
This intensive workshop will help you dive deep into your creative self and develop a stronger, more unique photographic vision.
From beginners to experienced photographers – you can all benefit from this intensive, fun and challenging workshop where we can all share knowledge, feedback and experiences.
Some of the highlights of this course are:
- You’ll learn how to tell stories with your images
- You’ll learn how to develop a personal creative vision of your photography
- I’ll fill in the gaps of your technical knowledge – giving presentations as well as plentiful demonstrations as we are out shooting
- We’ll do in-depth processing so you can make your images the very best
- We’ll use the multitude of subjects around us to discover new aspects to your photography
- You’ll learn professional lessons on creating images in a variety of genres
- You will leave with many new skills – plus a new portfolio of images
We will also do sessions on:
- Creative exposures and how shooting on Manual gives you total control of your creative photography
- The art of creative composition learn the how and why of composition
- We will study light and why you will never see a great photograph without great light. It is everything photography is about
- The challenges of shooting in the changing light from dawn to dusk, and how to handle them
- Group image review – receive tailored feedback on your images and get ideas for your future development
This course is suitable for photographers at almost any level of experience – as being a small group limited to six people, I can work with multiple levels.
I would, though, like you to be committed to trying and developing your skills on Manual as that is where I believe your creativity will truly get unleashed.
A camera and a sturdy tripod are necessary – a laptop to process your images is also highly recommended, but not essential.
Travel within Andalucia will be with a private car. We will be walking and exploring and would rate this as medium exertion level.
4 – 8 Participants
Experience | Difficulty
- Beginner, amateur, enthusiast and semi-pro photographers
- DSLR, mirrorless or compact cameras
- Busy schedule
- Travel by car, tram, ferry or minibus
- Slight elevation changes and lots of walking
- (non-photographers also welcome)
Weather | Sun
October – Temps 67-81 F / 20-27 C Sunrise 0714 | Sunset 2114 (9:14)
- Travel, cityscape, seascape, street, architecture, and people photography
- Accommodation + daily breakfasts
- Photo walks & discussions
- Scheduled Talks
- Welcome and farewell lunch
- Local transportation
Price does not include: Travel to Spain, travel insurance, meals not mentioned and alcoholic drinks.
Would you like to chat first? Email Diana on firstname.lastname@example.org and we can arrange a chat or answer any of your questions over email.
We will be staying in a selection of unique and local B&B’s and hotels. We will stay in three locations – Malaga for the first night, heading to the Las Alpujarras to stay in a beautiful local B&B, and then ending in Granada for 2 nights. We will be staying in these places, or similar depending on final group size:
Malaga – Dulce Dreams Boutique Hostel, in central Malaga, a friendly and funky little hotel with a cute roof terrace and delicious cafe/art gallery on the ground floor.
Las Alpujarras – Hotel Finca Los Llanos – a peaceful rural hotel located in the pretty town of Capileira. Stunning views across the valleys and mountains and the perfect spot for landscape photography, wildlife and exploring the little mountain villages.
Granada – The pretty boutique Hotel Gar Anat in central Granada in a refurbished 17th century palace.