Today I’d like to offer up some things I’ve been enjoying this week. I particularly search out creative ideas, projects or people when I am feeling too busy, or perhaps overwhelmed. I need to be reminded of all the amazing, fun, interesting and beautiful things being created in the wild world. It tears me out of my must-do, must-do mind, and instead of just reacting to life, I start thinking more about creating.
Here are 5 things I am enjoying this week:
- Film: Loving Vincent – You might have heard of this film that is made entirely with hand-painted pictures, done in the style of Vincent van Gogh. It took over 60,000 paintings to create this film, a fictional account of a man retracing van Gogh’s last steps.
It’s a mesmerising film. I love the hand-crafted nature of it, because for me what is often so wonderful about things that are hand made is the imperfections. I don’t tend to like anything that looks too perfect, and shiny. I like the human oddities.
2. Sage advice: via Austin Kleon. Every morning Leonardo da Vinci woke up and made a list of what he wanted to learn. What an amazing way to start the day. Replacing What shall I do today? With What shall I learn? I think that certainly creates a more interesting day.
3. Quote: “Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” Vincent van Gogh – I loved this. It cuts to the heart of feelings of overwhelm and a desire for perfectionism that can strike any creative or entrepreneurial endeavour. (We were entertained to read that a tiny grasshopper has been found in one of Van Gogh’s painting.)
4. Photography exhibition: Illuminating India: Photography 1857 – 2017 at the Science Museum, London. I won’t here to make this sadly, but it looks like an amazing collection of photography.
5. Photography talk: Stephen Wilkes’s TED talk about the creation of his ‘day to night’ photographs, which blend 100 photos taken from a single spot taken over the period of a day. It’s pretty cool concept and show the ‘best moments’ and contrasts of a location at different points in the day’s journey.
I hope there was some interesting things in there for you! Please let me know what you are seeing/listening to/enjoying and getting your creative kicks from this week. Comment below.
Have an awesome day,