How to travel like an artist

Lots of people ask me for my advice on how to take better photos when they travel. Even before I ran workshops I would have people ask me advice when they found out I was a photographer – I’ve spend many hours at parties discussing people’s photos and cameras with them. I am always happy to help with tips and ideas, the ‘tricks’ I’ve developed over the years and the plentiful supply of techniques I’ve learnt over my education and career.

But for me the most essential, the most stupendously important part of photography is the approach you take, your personal philosophy almost, how you see the world around you and how that translates to your photographs. It’s connecting with what photography means in your life, how you feel about the world around you and the act of creating that creates so much influence in what and how you choose to shoot.

So today I have created a very short, but hopefully impactful 3 min film that encapsulates how I approach travel as a photographer. This is all about how I experience travel and how that translates into my photos.

I would love to know what you think of this video. Is this how you travel and take photos?

Please comment below.

And I would love it if you could share this with anyone who love photography – sharing is so crazy helpful for me to spread the word of my work 🙂 Thank you.

Have an amazing rest of the day and thanks for being part of this awesome community of great photo-lovers.

Happy photographing!

Anthony

Sign up to my weekly blog of photo inspiration

... and receive my free 14 day ecourse on how to become a more creative photographer. Packed with simple & powerful ideas to transform your photography.

We will not spam you or share your info.
Sign up to my weekly blog of photo inspiration

We will not spam you or share your info.

Comments

6 Comments on "How to travel like an artist"

1. Camellia says:

Loved your video made me wish I was traveling with you so that together we could go see. This summer I am traveling to Italy with the hopes to “see” things with my eye and my lens. Very nicely done video, thanks for sharing. 🙂

2. Sylvia says:

Beautiful images-love your thought process.

3. dick says:

Dear Anthony

I have very much enjoyed your newsletters, especially on Haas. The video was moving. Great stuff, thanks for your hard work
    best wishes
    dick

4. Ben says:

Excellent video, Anthony – good ideas within and had me reaching for my ruck-sack and camera and heading for the door – that’s a lot to get into a 3 min video so kudos. I’d never really appreciated the pre-sunrise light concept either, so I’ll use that – thank you!

5. Simon Roth says:

Dear Anthony
    Loved your travel photography video. I think losing your expectations of a ‘good’ shot and seeing things for the first time is harder than it sounds. I’ve just returned from St. Clara (Cuba) and was taking loads of mediocre shots when I came across a local photography exhibition of the same city. Looking at those pictures really shocked me into realising how narrowly I was shooting, and went out and found a completely new style!

6. Paul says:

“I go to see things. I don’t expect to see things”
    What I learn from this Anthony is that I should look at life and not only objects. In Paris you know you will see the huge cast iron icon – but what about the people looking at it, or the poor guy who has to paint it, or the small streets in the vicinity. I will also have to learn to get up early.

Here's your chance to leave a comment!

HTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>